A greenish yellow gas with a pungent suffocating odor. Toxic by inhalation. Slightly soluble in water. Liquefies at -35°C and room pressure. Readily liquefied by pressure applied at room temperature. Density (as a liquid) 13.0 lb / gal. Contact with unconfined liquid can cause frostbite by evaporative cooling. Does not burn but, like oxygen, supports combustion. Long-term inhalation of low concentrations or short-term inhalation of high concentrations has ill effects. Vapors are much heavier than air and tend to settle in low areas. Contact CHEMTREC to activate chlorine response team 800-424-9300. Used to purify water, bleach wood pulp, and to make other chemicals.